I am starting a new blog series for those of you who are considering moving to Australia. I will try to provide all kinds of information in this series – from immigration to settlement. So, get ready for an exciting journey of a lifetime. Just don’t sit back, ask whatever you want to as this journey is also very challenging! And it won’t hurt if you are prepared in advance!!
Today, I will list some major reasons why you should move to Australia. I was born in India and I love my country. The comparisons I will draw on my blogs will be to just put things in front of you so that you can make an educated decision. Also, I do not claim that I know everything and whatever I will be writing here is for general purpose for starting a conversation. Always, do your thorough research for your personal situation as each individual’s circumstances are different and hence what may be an advantage for one may be disadvantage to the other.
So, let’s start:
1. Australia is the fourth happiest country in the world (Prosperity Index 2012) and we have five of the 30 best cities in the world for students (Top University Rankings 2012).
2. Australia is a land of opportunities and after your initial struggles, if you are hardworking and relentless, success will be at your feet.
3. Excellent play areas and parks for your kids. If your children’s future and security is your priority, then look no further. My personal opinion – these facilities are even better than US!
Education in public schools is free and the level of education is pretty high.
4. Australia is called a lucky country! There are many reasons for that. My current reason? No recession for Australia in last 25 years! When all the countries were facing the global financial crisis in 2008, Australia was still posting positive growth numbers! And still is!!
5. Australia is a big country. To put this in perspective, it is almost as big as the US is but the population is less than 1/10th! What it means? Lots of open spaces but not in cities. And a great scope for the future generations.
6. Australia is a beautiful country and you literally need to go may be an hour or so from the city (any) to see the natural beauty of Australia. From beautiful pristine beaches to snowy mountains (yes, we have snow here too) to natural wonders like the Great Barrier Reef. It is the world’s largest living structure which is even visible from the space. And it’s size is as big as the UK’s!! And what is the age of the reef? 25 million years!!
7. Australia is a safe country, especially when you compare it to the US, parts of Europe and definitely India. Australian government takes its job of protecting its borders very seriously and unauthorised boat arrivals have totally stopped.
8. Australia is big in sports. We play cricket in summers and rugby in winters. But Australia rules football (no, not soccer), swimming, surfing, horse racing, basketball, netball are all very popular sports. Australians love to be ‘outdoors’!!
9. By the way, we are in southern hemisphere. So, the seasons are reversed here. We have summers in December, January and winters in June, July to give you a rough idea. So, no ‘white’ Christmas for you as it is summer time here. I know, this may be depressing for some who are used to northern hemisphere’s snowy Christmas, but the schools are closed here from second week of December to the last week of January. So, you can plan ahead…
10. Australian weather is fantastic year around. The winters are not as harsh as Canada or USA (East Coast) and the summers are also not that hot. Exceptions: winters in Canberra/Tasmania and summers in NT/Northern Queensland.
So, there you go! I just listed top 10 reasons to migrate to Australia. This list can change a lot if you look from someone else’s perspective or if someone is single! I have barely scratched the surface! Each point can be a topic for a book and we can have at least 100 more points which can be easily included in this list.
My work is just to provide some perspective, so that you can do some research and arrive at your own conclusions. And also you can throw some questions here and I will try to answer them (or may be some of you can answer them too!). Again, the purpose is to start a meaningful and fun conversation for the benefit of prospective immigrants! After all, we work for YOUR bright future!
Got any questions/comments? Post below…